These few simple tips on how to make your computer run faster will make your work efficient and improve your productivity.
Follow each and every tip mentioned. Your computer will start running at crazy speed.
1. Organize your desktop
- Clean up your computer desktop by removing unnecessary shortcuts, files, and folders. A computer desktop screen full of files makes a computer slow on startup.
- Create a new folder for the files and folders on the desktop that you need or you don’t frequently access.
- This will clear off your desktop while keeping the files handy until you have time to sort through them.
- Another good approach is to hide all your desktop icons. This you can access from the desktop folder.
2. Improve performance by defragmenting your hard disk
Disk fragmentation is one of the most regular reasons for sluggish performance on a computer. This is one of the best tips on how to make computers faster.
- In Windows, click the Start button and go to All Programs > System Tools on older versions of Windows.
- In Windows 8, open the Search, enter Defragment, and go to Settings > Defragment and optimize your drives.
3. Clear out the temp Files on your Computer
There are many new gaming technologies are coming in. While playing games or running any high-end software, they create many temporary files on your system. That makes your computer run slower.
- Delete temporary folders, download folders, and the files you no longer need.
- Clear your cookies, browsing history, or the entire cache. Think about keeping your tabs and passwords, to let you browse faster.
4. Clean up your multimedia
How about those movies you loved so much that you saved the files so you could see them again? Either you don’t really need them or you have not remembered to hit the delete button?
9. If your answer is “No,” What are you waiting for. Hit the Del button and clear some unnecessary files to boost up your computer’s performance.
5. Clear or Update your Browser
- Clear all your browsers history and cache files. If you don’t clear your history and cache then you may sometimes face DNS probe bad config error.
- Update your browser to the latest working version or use a better web browser.
- If google chrome freezes a lot then you can use Chromium Portable which is a lighter version of chrome browser.
6. Move or Remove Large Files to an External Storage Device
Reducing the load on your computer, especially the C drive helps also in speeding up your computer. It’s like giving someone your load to carry knowing you can always find that person later to pick up your stuff.
- A hard drive is also a great way to back up your most important files. Use it.
7. Remove Startup Programs
Most programs we install are programmed to auto start on system startup. This slows down the system mostly and they usually work in the background.
- To make programs start only when you want, use the Start Menu in Windows Vista and Windows 7 to type “msconfig”.
Open the msconfig.exe program, where you can deselect auto-start programs.
- If you are using Windows 8, click Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open the Task Manager, select the Startup tab, and disable any item you don’t want to launch automatically.
- Mac users can go to System Preferences > Users & Groups/Accounts > Login Items to deselect programs.
8. Run a Virus/Malware Scan
- Always make sure you run an anti-malware program.
- Also, consider keeping your antivirus software up-to-date and start frequently scanning your computer for viruses and malware.
9. Physically clean your computer
This is one of the tricks on how to make a computer faster that many of us become lazy to do.
- Use the right cleaners and get it looking like new again.
- If you have had your computer for more than a few months, it’s also time to clean the inside of your machine. Open it and use a can of compressed air to dust the interior parts carefully, especially the fan and heat sink over the processor.
Remember not to touch any interior parts while cleaning to avoid physical damage.
Is your computer still slow after doing all the activities mentioned above? you probably need to ass some computer peripheral like more RAM and a better graphics card. You will be amazed to see how things are working so smoothly.