The Dell Latitude line of notebook computers are powerful alternatives to traditional desktops, and can be useful to businesses wishing to untether employees from their desks. Each model of the Latitude is rich with features that can add to the computing experience. Using these features on the Latitude differs slightly from the same features on other notebook types.
- Lift the screen to fully access the keyboard and turn on the system power using the power button located in the upper right corner of the top of the unit above the keyboard keys. Wait for the keyboard to boot and display the Windows desktop screen.
- Adjust the display brightness if needed for clear viewing by pressing the “Fn” and the “Up” cursor keys simultaneously to increase the brightness or “Fn-Down” to lower the brightness. Adjust the volume of the computer with the volume keys located to the left of the power button, just above the keyboard keys.
- Connect an external monitor to the computer using the video port located on the left side of the base. Available port types may differ according to your Latitude model. Use a compatible video cable to plug into the port for the connection, plugging the other end of the cable into your monitor. Turn on the monitor, and then press the “Fn-F8” to switch from the laptop display to the external display.
- Switch between widescreen and standard display aspects by pressing “Fn-F7.”
- Press “Fn-Esc” to activate the power management for the Latitude. Enter into hibernation mode to suspend all computer operations by pressing “Fn-F1.” This suspended mode can be ended by pressing any key or swiping the keypad with a finger.
- Press the wireless switch on the far left side of the front panel of the system to connect to a nearby wireless network. If a wireless network isn’t available, then plug an Ethernet cable that’s connected to a modem or network router into the Ethernet port on the left side of the system base to connect to the LAN controlled by the router or to the Internet source provided over the modem.
- Activate the ambient light sensor on your system by pressing “Fn-Left.” The ALS will use the light in the room to adjust the screen, increasing the backlight in low-light conditions and decreasing it in bright conditions.